Flu season is just the worst, and it is upon us in full once again. For a lot of people, this is the worst time of the year and for some it can mean an annual revisiting of a very common sickness. A lot of people get the flu every year around this time of the year, especially if they have a lot of interactions with others and are exposed to others who have the flu too. Thankfully, there are a few things that one can do to try to avoid it this year.
The University of Wisconsin did a study on the most effective ways and means of addressing flu season from a preventive measure, and some of their results have been recorded here. The whole goal behind addressing flu season is in that of prevention. How to avoid getting the flu is the key. If one does end up getting it then one can move on to how to address the flu and how to get rid of it as soon as possible, but the priority needs to be on keeping yourself from getting it in the first place.
Avoiding the Flu and Staying Healthy
Listed below is some advice from the University of Wisconsin’s School of Medicine and Public Health:
• Wash your hands frequently, especially after blowing your nose, coughing, sneezing, being with ill people and especially before you eat
• Avoid sharing objects
• Avoid touching your nose, mouth and eyes
• Get enough sleep and avoid getting “rundown”
• Reduce stress
• Use tissues for coughs and sneezes and dispose of them immediately and appropriately
• Eat right and get regular exercise
• Avoid crowds and keep your distance from people whom you know are ill
• If you are sick, avoid contact with the frail, very young and elderly
• If you are sick, stay home from work or school
That’s just a small list of what people can do to address flu prevention to stop from getting it and maintenance should one get it. There are a many other things that can be done too. For the most part, common sense applies and is the most valuable tool that one has. Staying away from people who have the flu, getting exercise and maintaining proper diet, taking lots of vitamins and getting lots of sleep, all of these help.